ACT Training Awards
About the awards
The ACT Training Awards is an annual opportunity to showcase the commitment, innovation and outstanding achievements of all those involved in the ACT vocational education and training (VET) sector.
Across 14 categories, the awards recognise and reward the success of individuals and organisations in the ACT. Winners in aligned categories will compete for national success at the Australian Training Awards.
Individual Award Categories
- ACT Apprentice of the Year
- ACT Trainee of the Year
- ACT Vocational Student of the Year
- ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year
- ACT Australian School-based Apprentice of the Year
- ACT VET Teacher/Trainer of the Year
- Norm Fisher Award
- John Scott Award
Organisation Award Categories
- ACT Small Employer of the Year
- ACT Medium Employer of the Year
- ACT Large Employer of the Year
- ACT Industry Collaboration
- ACT Small Training Provider of the Year
- ACT Large Training Provider of the Year
Nominations for the 2021 ACT Training Awards are now open.
- Wednesday 17 March 2021 - Nominations open
- Thursday 13 May 2021 - Nominations close 5:00pm
- Late June to early July 2021 - Finalists notified
- Monday 12 to Friday 16 July 2021 - Finalist Interviews conducted
- Thursday 9 September 2021 - ACT Training Awards Presentation
- Monday 15 to Friday 19 November 2021 - Australian Training Awards Finalist Week
- Thursday 18 November 2021 - Australian Training Awards Presentation
Australian Training Awards
The Australian Training Awards are the peak national Awards that showcase best practice in vocational education and training.
Winners from each state and territory (in aligned categories) have the opportunity to compete for a national award title. The Australian Training Awards also has a number of awards that are available by direct entry.
For further information refer to the Australian Training Awards website.
2020 virtual event
The 2020 ACT Training Awards was held on Thursday 10 September 2020.
A recording of the event is available on YouTube.
Sponsoring the ACT Training Awards is an opportunity to show your support for Canberra’s VET sector, which delivers some of the best outcomes and graduates in the country. Your organisation will benefit from the exposure that the awards attract through many promotional channels.
2021 sponsorship options will be available soon. Please contact Skills Canberra by emailing Skills Canberra should you wish to register your interest in 2021 sponsorship packages.
Being an ambassador
Winners and finalists of the ACT Training Awards are recognised as ambassadors for the ACT vocational education and training (VET) sector and are at times called upon to participate in forums and speak at events.
The Awards are a great opportunity to identify VET students that showcase the range of opportunities and careers available through a VET pathway.
As an ACT Training Awards winner, you may be invited to participate in many activities following the awards, including but not limited to:
- photo and video shoots promoting your achievements
- media opportunities (speaking with local media outlets)
- presenting at stakeholder forums
- judging for your award category in future years
- involvement in professional development days for future winners
- presenting at industry and VET sector events.
Winners from the ACT Training Awards (in eligible categories) will represent the ACT at the Australian Training Awards. Our ambassadors represent the great outcomes Canberra’s VET sector produces and build the reputation of our VET community to both the ACT and the rest of Australia.
By sharing your experiences, advice and knowledge, you can encourage people of all ages and backgrounds to realise how VET can benefit them and potentially change their lives. In addition, you may be able to inspire employers and training providers to review their training methods and continue to make improvements.
You can represent the ACT VET sector as a VET Ambassador in many different ways and all ACT Training Awards finalists and winners have a story worth sharing.